Tuesday, March 16, 2010

My Obsession with Weather

I have a fascination with weather. In fact, when I was 5 years old, I used to stand in front of the wall and pretend I was a meteorologist. I would point to different areas of the country on an imaginary map and give a very detailed weather forecast.

As I grew up, I decided I wanted to be a meteorologist. However, God had other plans for me. He wanted me to be a teacher. Not quite a meteorologist, huh? With that said, my love for weather has never faded.

I have lived in some of the most exciting areas of the country in terms of weather. I grew up in Central Alabama with tornadoes. I lived in Chicago with their cold, windy winters. And, I've lived in Orlando, Florida with their hurricanes. All of these provided me with ample opportunities to experience a plethora of weather phenomena.

However, I now live in an area of the U.S. that has some wild weather extremes. In May 2009, my husband and I moved to North Pole, Alaska. North Pole is a small town 12 miles southeast of Fairbanks.

North Pole is on the road system, which means we are not in the bush. The bush, for those of you who are not familiar with Alaska, are areas of state that can only be accessed by plane. The road system is just like what it sounds. You have roads you can drive on and access other areas of the state on these roads.

Since the weather is so exciting here in Alaska and I'm a weather nut, I decided to create this blog to share with others
my
love for Alaskan weather. My goal is to make daily posts with weather updates from North Pole and around the state. Posts may range from a quick temperature and current conditions update to a more detailed post with pictures.

I hope that you enjoy reading my blog and learning more about Alaskan weather and culture.

No comments:

Post a Comment