Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Spring Time Weather, Alaska Style

The snow is melting on our back deck.
I know it doesn't look like much, but it's a beautiful sight!


A moose wandered through our yard.
Taken through our bedroom window.


This cow is searching for something good to eat.


Good afternoon from North Pole, Alaska. We are experiencing some incredible spring-like weather! Of course, when you think of spring-like weather, you may envision abundant sunshine, temperatures in the 60's, lengthening days and flowers blooming.

Well, folks, that's not how it is in the Interior of Alaska. Okay, we do have brilliant sunshine and long days, but that's where the similarities stop. Our version of spring-like weather is highs in the upper 20's and moose visiting our house.

After being below zero for several months, 25 degrees is like dying and going to Heaven! In fact, it was just the other day at recess (I teach elementary school) that it was 27 degrees. The kids were out running around in t-shirts and rolling in the snow. I don't have pictures to back this up. You'll just have to take my word for it. To be brutally honest, we don't cancel recess until it gets colder than 20 below zero.

As I mentioned, the days are long. We are experiencing almost 12 hours of daylight. We gain over 6 minutes of daylight each day. We will continue this long climb until June 21st. Then we will begin our downward spiral into total darkness.

While we don't have flowers and blooming trees, we are on the edge of spring and after a long winter, I am ready. As I was looking outside this afternoon, I noticed that the snow was melting on our deck. All be it just a little melting, it is melting and I'll take it!

No comments:

Post a Comment